A Google Webmaster Account is a way to verify ownership of your website and be able to request updates of your links that rerun in the Google search results to your visitors. To make a request to update links you will need to create a Google Webmaster account and make a request for the re-crawl (or re-index). Once your site ownership has been verified, you can choose to request a crawl or submit a sitemap via the Webmaster Tools interface to have the Google search results updated.
As the owner of your website, it is best practice for you to create and maintain this account so that you can maintain your own Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and have access to the console as needed.
- Navigate to the Google Webmaster site
- Click Sign In
- Login with your Google Account and/or Create a new Google Account
- Select URL Prefix
- Enter your site URL
- Click Continue
- Copy the HTML Tag script and contact Support to add it to your home page
- Note: Ensure that you CC the Primary Contact of your organization, as adding this script requires Primary Contact approval.
- Once the script has been added, click Verify
- View the Ownership Verified screen